Mono County Jail Project (Under Construction)
In 2017, Mono County obtained a grant from the California “Board of State and Community Corrections” (BSCC) for $25,000,000 to build a new jail in Bridgeport, California.
To date, Mono County has worked to complete the required site due diligence, and worked with the State Public Works Board and the BSCC to obtain project establishment. (October 2022).
Mono County hired Lionakis, an expert in Corrections facility design, to design the jail and final site improvements.
Mono County hired Kitchell to act as the county’s representative in the construction process as a construction manager. They will stay on until the end of the project and perform the commissioning process, which verifies all building operations.
Mono County Public Works will provide a recurring update on the Mono County Jail Project at the first Board of Supervisors Meeting each month.
Construction Schedule (subject to change)
- Site due diligence began (COMPLETED)
- Began removal of existing Medical equipment and stored materials (COMPLETED)
- Mono County Board Item - Hazardous Materials Removal (COMPLETED)
- Mono County Board Item – Presentation and Budget adjustments (COMPLETED)
- Hazardous Materials removal begins (COMPLETED)
- Hazardous Materials abatement and monitoring tasks completed (COMPLETED)
- Approval received from the California State Department of Finance to continue the design process (COMPLETED)
- Utility relocation begins (COMPLETED)
- Lionakis prepared construction bid package for submittal to State Fire Marshal (COMPLETED)
- State Fire Marshal plan review begins (COMPLETED)
- Begin site soil preparation
- Rapid Site Impaction Compaction test process
- Continue site utility relocation work
- Begin building demolition
- Continue Site Ground Lease work with Department of General Services and Board of State and Community Corrections
- Establish contract for and begin Site Impaction Compaction process (weather permitting)
- Lionakis to complete construction bid package
- Bid process to select Construction Contractor
- Begin construction of Mono County Jail
- Mono County Sheriff's begin preparing for move
- Jail construction generally complete
- Inmates move in
Click any thumbnail image to view a slideshow