Mono County

Who can be a Foster Parent?

  • You need to have the necessary skills, stamina and patience to deal effectively with children who may have emotional or physical problems.


  • You must be over 18, in good physical and emotional health.
  • You may be married or single.
  • You can be same sex couples.
  • You can be working parents.
  • You can live in an apartment or a house.
  • You must have sufficient income to support your own family without relying on foster care payments.
  • You’ll need to obtain a state foster care license. That process includes providing references, health clearances, and fingerprints, plus an in-home visit from an agency worker.
  • You’ll need to work as a cooperative team member with other children’s services specialists including agency workers, court representatives, health care professionals and community agencies.
  • You must be accepting of the temporary nature of foster care. This means supporting efforts to reunite foster children with their families, or when that is not possible, preparing them to move on to a permanent home.

For additional information or to request an application, please contact:

Mono County Department of Social Services
Marlo Preis 760-924-1770

State Foster Care Licensing, Fresno
Diana Chapman 559-974-5581