The process of becoming a foster parent is called "certification."
The process of Certification is a four-step process:
- Background Check
- Home Clearance
- Family Study
- Fingerprint clearances
- Child Abuse Index clearance
Our licensing coordinator will schedule a visit with you in your home to check that your home and surroundings provide a safe, healthy and comfortable environment for a child. The coordinator will check the following:
- The home is in good repair and has the normal comforts and conveniences.
- Toxic substances, medications and firearms and ammunition are locked up.
- Beds and bedrooms for foster children meet requirements.
- A first aid kit and fire extinguisher are on site and meet requirements.
- There is a floor plan and written disaster plan in case of emergencies.
- Any play area/yard is free of hazards and safe.
Family Study will include
- Your family history
- Information about who you are; your beliefs and values
- Ideas about what children might most benefit from living in your family
- Anything else that will help us get to know each other
For additional information or to request an application, please contact:
Mono County Department of Social Services
Marlo Preis 760-924-1770
State Foster Care Licensing, Fresno
Diana Chapman 559-974-5581